Last visit was: 28 Feb 2015 02:11 It is currently 28 Feb 2015 02:11

All times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: New!! Double coupon question...
PostPosted: 30 Oct 2008 16:34 

So, I've been trying to figure this out for a while now. I was under the impression that doubling a coupon meant using 2 coupons for 2 items.. dont laugh
So today I think I read that you can use 1 coupon for 1 item but it doubles it's coupon value right?? My store here I just found out doubles up to 99 c so this would mean that if I was getting a box of cereal for $2 and had a dollar off coupon that it would be free? Or a penny? I really confused myself.
Also, If I had 3 coupons, does that mean I can get 3 items and they are all doubled?
Sorry if this sounds stupid but can someone please explain this to me? Google is sick of me im sure and hasnt helped much lol

TIA,
Heather

Post subject: Re: New!! Double coupon question...
PostPosted: 30 Oct 2008 17:13 

If your store only doubles up to 99¢ then your $2.00 cereal would be only .02¢. (The coupon doubles to take off $1.98 from your $2.00 cereal).

Now most stores that double will only double one like coupon. For example if you had (2) of the Chex $1.00/1 coupons then, they will only double (1) of your coupons. You would have to make two different transactions. BUT, if you had a $1.00/1 and a .75¢/1 coupon, then you would be able to double both since they are different coupons.

Just make sure when you use your coupons you read it since some are for certian quantities. $1.00/1 or $1.00/2 etc.......

Ususally I take my husband with me so we can do the separate transactions.

Hope this helps and NO question is too stupid. You must not let this intimidate you!!!!! LOL We all started somehow just like you did and look how far we've come along. :P

http://www.youravon.com/bgamboa

!Thanks!
Belinda Gamboa
206-3202
or email me at
BelindaGamboa_AVON@yahoo.com

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2008 17:40 

Thanks! I thought i understood until i just called safeway and they really confused me. She said they actually double up to $1, so i asked.. If I had an 80ct coupon and it doubled it would be like a $1.60 coupon and she said, no, it would be 20cts to make it a $1 coupon. I guess now im lost, I thought doubling means doubling the value of a coupon up to $1, like a $1 off coupon turns into a $2 off coupon.

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2008 19:46 

So now I'm also confused. I'm sorry but, I'm not understanding what she told you. If the coupon is for .80¢ then it takes off $1.60 unless the coupon says "DO NOT DOUBLE".

Homeland used to be Safeway here in OKC and our Homeland doubles up to $1.00. So unless you got a cashier/manager who didn't understand your question, (which happens often), then you should have no trouble doubling any coupon that's $1.00 and under like I said as long as it doesn't say "DO NOT DOUBLE". And watch out for the quantities listed on the coupon as well.

All I can advise you to do is try the one item in question and see. Chances are that the person who answered you didn't understand the question? Sorry I can't help you any more. :cry:

Let us know how it works out.

http://www.youravon.com/bgamboa

!Thanks!
Belinda Gamboa
206-3202
or email me at
BelindaGamboa_AVON@yahoo.com

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2008 22:33 
Lead Moderator

Heather...where are you from? If you PM me your Zip Code I will contact Safeway and try to find out an answer to your question.

It can also depend on the price of your item. For instance I buy the Splenda Quick Packs here and they are $0.61. I used my $0.55 coupon good on any Splenda and the store give me $0.55 + $0.06...which makes the price of the item FREE without getting any overage. But if any item is normally say $2.00 and on sale for $1.50 and I use a $1.00 coupon I get $2 off (after coupon doubles) to give me $0.50 overage.

We do not have Safeway here in Oklahoma but I know other states have differences with Double Coupons.

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2008 16:13 

Hey! ya, i still have yet to figure it out... I live in Golden, Colorado
Any help will be hugely appreciated, I have baby number 2 coming in January and so I'm trying everything I can to save money on things we need. Thanks again!!!

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2008 19:27 

I did a little research and came up with this from cyberspace....it seems to fit what you have said...

Colorado--Safeway: Double coupons up to 50 cents; coupons from .51 to .99 are rounded up to $1.00, coupons over $1.00 deducted at face value. Not all stores double coupons, be sure to ask store personnel what their individual store policy is.

In other words if the face value of the coupon is 50 cents or Less it doubles it..... if the face value of the coupon is between .51 and .99 it doesn't double it, it just rounds it up to $1.00 and..... if the face value is a dollar or more on your coupon, then it will only deduct the face value. It appears when you were talking with the lady from Safeway, because you used a value that hit above 50 cents (.80 in your example) she was just telling you that they would increase the value up to $1.00. Also remember that for coupons UNDER .50, say like .25 they will "double" it, so its' value goes to .50.....NOT $1.

Hope that helps and congrats on the new baby!!!

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2008 19:51 

Blesseddaddy - wow, it took some brain muscles to figure that one out! Thanks for posting it. Even though I don't shop there (I'm not sure that we have Safeway here), I was interested in seeing what the outcome was.

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2008 23:52 

Miriam, I wish I could say it was "my" brain muscles.....LOL....I actually did a search to find out what I could for Heather. Even though I am in Alabama and not Colorado and we don't have a Safeway here either. Anyway, what I found came from a reliable source and seemed to fit with the conversation that had occured here. So the only brain muscle I can claim to have used was being able to add two and two (most of the time anyway) to see where what was posted on this reliable thread, fit with the questions being discussed here and then adding my two cents worth to it!! LOL

It does appear that if the person Heather was talking to from Safeway would have just said, we double up to .50, we round up to $1 for those coupons between .51 and .99 and those for $1 or more we just pay face value, that would have solved the question.

I am sure if she had done that Heather would have understood, but it appears that the lady she was talking to, just said yes we double coupons up to 99 cents "thinking" that would end the call........then when Heather said, so if I bring in one for like .80 then it's worth 1.60? To which the woman probably realized that she hadn't explained it well enough to start with, so she just said no.......it would be worth $1 and then after half-heartedly saying, it would add 20 cents to it and make it worth a a dollar, then she probably tried to end the call, without wanting to explain it!!! Since she was able to say no, it would make it worth $1, it does appear that she knew the policy, but did not want to expend the time to explain it to Heather in enough detail to be clear. I do feel that a lot of employees (though certainly not all of them, really aren't trained that well in the policies of the companies they are working for and then there are those that could care less about dealing with the public). So, they basically just do whatever the register does or attempt to ignore it (and "us"), so when the customer has a question or knows it's not right, that is when they give us looks and try to make it look like "they" know what they are doing or they become more serious about ignoring "us" and the issue!! In this case it appears they let a potential customer get off the phone more confused and unhappy than she was when "she made" the effort to find out what she could and couldn't do at "their" store!!! LOL Anyway, no matter the reason why, the woman got off the phone with Heather before she "understood" the policy and I hope what I was able to add to this discussion helps her in her efforts to $ave more for her family!!

Anyway, thanks for even thinking my brain muscles "might" have done it!! LOL

HEATHER.....NOTE.....that since they double UP to 99 cents (even though that isn't exactly true..we'll just say they add value up to 99 cents), but since they ONLY PAY FACE VALUE for $1 and over, that means that your $1 coupon will NOT double....they will only pay you face value for it. In other words, that cereal, that you were going to buy for $2 and thought using a $1 coupon would make it FREE, won't happen........you will end up paying a buck for it!! Also using coupons in value from .51 to 99 cents will bring the cost for the same deal on the cereal to $1 out of pocket for you. Hey that was my own brain muscle!! LOL

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2009 04:03 

Ok, I am going thru the various threads trying to understand how to become a coupon-prince, lord, duke, squire, or most likely jester.

here is the double policy of Harris Teeter:
We double manufacturer’s coupons up to face value of $0.99; with total amount not to
exceed $1.98 or entire retail of item; whichever is less.

I have read and reread the above comments and am still a bit confused.
Here is my question:
very basic scenario: If I have a $1 off 1 item, what will my coupon value end up being for a $3 item?
A. $1 "doubled" to $1.98
B. $1 not doubled b/c it is over the $.99 threshhold?

thanks.

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2009 04:39 
Lead Moderator

I would say B) $1 not doubled b/c it is over the $.99 threshhold

However, call the store and ask. They do not know who you are and it would be a surefire way to find out. I once sat at work bored and called about 20 wal-marts to ask about internet printed coupons. Got a different answer each place. Since here we are lucky and $1 gets doubled to $2 and some places only double to up $0.99 your best bet would be to call.

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2009 04:41 
Lead Moderator

Forgot to add...wait until you get into the purchase versus transaction chat with a cashier. it is fun.

Example. 2 coupons 2 bottles of shampoo and clerk says can only use 1 coupon per purchase. You are purchasing 2 shampoos and only using 1 coupon per each one you are purchasing this is correct ands you should be able to do it. They however interpret purchase=transaction. Oh the grey world of couponing!

[ 12 posts ]