Last visit was: 29 Jul 2015 06:56 It is currently 29 Jul 2015 06:56

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

This Forum is not for self promotion

[ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Teaching my niece
PostPosted: 16 Sep 2007 02:48 

I told my niece a few weeks ago to just wait until she sees my coupon book. She said "Oh, mom has one of those...with all the restaurant coupons in it." I let her know mine was nothing like that. When she saw my binder, her eyes got as big as saucers! She said "Oh, Aunt Missy, can I look at it, please??" (She's 11) I let her take it in the other room to look over it. When she came back she said (Ok, now, you've got to understand this is kind of a weird joke in our family. When we like something someone else has, we ask them if we can have it when they die...I know, sick, but that's who we are! LOL) "Aunt Missy....can I have this when you die?" I rolled with laughter! I told her "Of course you can baby!" Now, to get to the stockpile story....

She came to my house today (to go to the Bath & Body Works deal) and saw my stockpile of cereal, juice, Market Pantry flavored water and Dr Pepper. (she didn't even look in the bathroom for the shampoo, conditioner, and razors!) She couldn't believe it and started counting the cereal boxes. She informed me that I had 51 boxes. I didn't believe her, so we counted together...she was right! 51 boxes of cereal, along with 16 bottles of Old Orchard Juice, 46 bottles of Market Pantry flavored water and 7 12pks of Dr. Pepper.

She thought I was nuts when I told her I was going back to the store today to get more cereal! I explained to her that my mom and I donate it to the Independent Living Services for Youth here in Norman, and there's a girl at work I want to help out by getting her some cereal (for the seven children of relatives she's temporarily housing). She went with me to Homeland, and I taught her how to use the coupons, and just how things could be so cheap. We used the Kelloggs $1/2 coupons, peelies off Kelloggs for b2g1 free, and in combination with Homeland's half off sale and double coupons, we were getting cereal at around 0.67 per box! Here's where we ended up:

1 Pepperidge Farm frozen German Choc cake $4.13-$2.07(half off)-0.55 q (dbld)=0.96
1 Aussie 3min Deep Conditioner $2.50(sale price)-$1 q (dbld)=0.50
1 Farmland smoked sausage $3.69-$1.85(half off)-0.55 q (dbld)=0.75
22 boxes Kelloggs cereals $3.79 to$4.29 (half off-$1/2 coupons dbld and b2g1 free coupons)
1 box Curves cereal $3.79- $1.90 (half off)-$1 q (dbld)=0.10 credit!
2 boxes Hungry Jack Pancake Mix $2.29-$1.15 (half off)-$1/2 q (dbld)= 0.14 per box

Grand total........$25.36

With the sale prices, my niece saw the total as $61.XX before the coupons, then she watched it go down with each coupon. She started counting down out loud when it got into the $40-30 range! I leaned over and whispered in her ear to be sure and listen when he gave me the receipt because then they tell you the total amount you saved, with sale prices and coupons. She listened closely until he said "Thank you for shopping at Homeland. You saved $90.71 by shopping with us today." She sputtered for a second then began "I'm telling my mama we're going to start using coupons...I'm gonna show my daddy how to use coupons....does Grandma use coupons?...Where do you get the coupons?...just from the paper?....Oh, wait we got some of the cereal, didn't we?....."

1 hour of preparation scanning sales circulars
20 minutes in the grocery store
$25.36 cents spent on donations for less fortunate
$90.71 saved

Teaching your niece to get the most for her money.....PRICELESS!

I wouldn't have traded this afternoon for anything!

Post subject: Re: Teaching my niece
PostPosted: 16 Sep 2007 21:15 

At 5 am this morning, I awoke to a big crashing sound. It sounded like someone had fallen down the stairs. I jumped up and ran to see what was going on....my stockpile had crumbled! LOL! 16 bottles of juice, 40 bottles of water, and 20 boxes of cereal were scattered all over my kitchen floor! The only thing left standing was a few bottles of water and the 12pks of Dr. Pepper! Had to laugh--after my heart quit racing from the scare!

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2007 05:14 

wow!..awesome job!

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2007 16:48 

That is so AWESOME!! And especially awesome that your neice is seeing you use this to help others as well.

I'm trying to get a ministry started in our church to help out with our work with the innercity families. Not just helping those in need, but using coupons and sales to buy things that help those need so that we get more bang for our buck.

OH.....by the way...our family does the same thing....the whole "can I have this when you die?" question! So yours isn't the only sick family around...LOL! It's not like they can take it with them!! Ha!

Proverbs 31:27 She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness.

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2007 20:58 
The Consumer Queen

What a cute story that is so awsome!!!!!!!! My daughter will be 11 in Oct , she is the same way but.... when it comes to organizing time I cant seem to find her anywhere? LOL!!!!!!!!!!

* Money saved in 2006: $10,000.00
* Total Savings in 2007:$13,003.51
*Money saved in 2008:$15,982.06
ImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2007 00:10 

[quote="
OH.....by the way...our family does the same thing....the whole "can I have this when you die?" question! So yours isn't the only sick family around...LOL! It's not like they can take it with them!! Ha![/quote]

LMBO!! I'm so glad we're not the only warped family around!! We may be warped, but we do have FUN! I'm not sure I feel "normal" knowing we're not the only ones who play this game, but I don't feel alone anymore!! :lol:

[ 6 posts ]